Improving safety, visibility at Pennsylvania Business Park
A dark intersection on top of a mountain is now in clear sight with the Skystream 3.7 turbine.
Accidents were happening. Light produced by the sign and the power to the traffic light has made the intersection safer for drivers.
-Ed Woll, President, Control Alt. Energy
Schuykill Economic Development Corporation (SEDCO) assists with location planning and site assessment requirements within the Interstate 80/81/78 corridors in central and eastern Pennsylvania.
- Raise awareness of the park’s entrance with signage lighting and a traffic light
- Use the motion of a wind turbine to catch drivers attention to slow down, reduce accidents
- Eliminate the operating cost for the lighting
- Cost-effective option that could fit along the highway
- Adequate light output to meet safety requirements
- Average annual wind speed: 2.2 m/s (5 mph)*
- Location: 40.685585,-76.193476
- Install date: August 2010
- One Skystream 3.7 on a 14 m (45 ft) sectional monopole tower
- Traffic light system
- Aesthetically pleasing, integrated design
- Turbines provide clean, ready-to-use AC power (no external inverter or controller required)
- “Behind the meter” connection reduces SEDCO’s utility energy costs
- Project cost: $15,530
- Produced 3,510 kWh since installation
- Reduces or eliminates utility costs
- Provides light for safety along busy highway
- Public demonstration of wind resource
- ControlAlt. Energy